The school's Learning and Support Team plays a key role in ensuring that the specific needs of students with disability and additional learning needs are met.
- supports teachers in identifying and responding to the additional learning needs of students;
- facilitates and coordinates a whole school approach to improving the learning outcomes of every student;
- coordinates planning processes and resourcing for students with disability and additional learning and support needs;
- designs and implements the supports required to build teacher capacity so that all students access quality learning;
- develops collaborative partnerships with the school, parents and carers, other professionals and the wider school community.
We monitor each student's progress and provide additional learning support if this is required.
Our school uses learning programs and specialised staff where needed and we work in partnership with parents and carers to assist students who have special learning needs.
Our school is committed to working with Aboriginal parents and community members in developing personalised plans for our Aboriginal students.
We are fortunate to have the support of the following specialist teachers at Wollongong Public.
EAL/D - English as an Additional Language or Dialect
Approximately 60% of our students are from language backgrounds other than English. There are as many as fifty-one community languages spoken by our students. We have qualified and experienced EAL/D teachers working with our EAL/D students on a needs basis. We also have an Arabic School Learning Support Officer working with our Arabic students and their families. The multicultural nature of our school provides a colourful framework for inclusiveness and tolerance.
LAST - Learning Assistance and Support Teachers
These specialist teachers assist schools to cater for those students in regular classes who are experiencing difficulties in basic areas of their learning. The LAST works with the school, teachers, parents and caregivers to identify and assess students experiencing difficulties in basic areas of learning. The LAST works collaboratively with the school's Learning Support Team to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate programs for students experiencing difficulties in learning.